Saturday 25 May 2013

Leaving Day

This morning I sat up on the roof of the Kathy Armstrong lodge, in Dagbamete. Watched the sun peak over the treetops and enjoyed the sounds and silences of the village in the early morning (early for me at least-before breakfast!). I thought about all of the events, cultural differences and temperature obstacles we have overcome, as a group and individually. I started to wonder when I will be able to come back. Carrying these last few weeks, such a brief period of time really, in our hearts as we leave, do we ever really leave?

As a travelling group of young’uns we have become quite close, The idea that this time tomorrow we won’t all be dragging ourselves out of bed by 8:00 to get some delicious homemade everything on our plates, is heartbreaking. Like everything in life, it comes to a close and is further explored if our hearts desire. I have enjoyed every member of the team, we really do act and support as a team, our separate backgrounds, moral compasses, ideas and dreams, have all been welcomed and shared. The conversations we indulge in alone have been life lessons, eye openers and sparked interest for more adventures. But the experience I have had here, is incomparable. There are still parts of this trip I have not sorted through emotionally or mentally yet, but when I’m supposed to understand, I will. I feel very privileged and honoured to have spent three beautiful weeks with so many beautiful, well respected people, yes that includes the ones that boarded the plane in Canada.

This trip is just the beginning of a new chapter. The lessons learned here will flow over into the rest of my life, they will encourage me that I can accomplish anything I set my mind to and be a friendly reminder that I, Rebecca, can dance!
Much love to you all <3
-Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.